Just as you don't need dairy cream to have a creamy soup, you don't need dairy cheese to add a cheesy flavor to recipes. Almond butter adds extra richness to this flavorful soup!
This recipe is from Nut Butter Universe by Robin Robertson (c) 2013. Reprinted with permission. Photo credit: Lori Maffei.
Robin Robertson has worked with food for more than twenty-five years as a restaurant chef, cooking teacher, and food writer. A longtime vegan, Robin is the author of numerous cookbooks, including the best-selling Vegan Planet, 1,000 Vegan Recipes, Vegan Fire and Spice, Vegan on the Cheap, Quick-Fix Vegan, and Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker. Her latest book is Nut Butter Universe
Robin writes the Global Vegan column for VegNews Magazine and has also written for Vegetarian Times and Cooking Light, among others. Visit her Global Vegan Kitchen website at http://www. robinrobertson. com. She can also be found on Facebook and Twitter.
1 tablespoon olive oil or 1/4 cup water
1 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
1 medium russet potato, peeled and finely chopped or shredded
1 pound broccoli, trimmed and coarsely chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup almond butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
1. In a large soup pot, heat the oil or water over medium heat. Add the onion, cover, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the potato and stir in the broth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, add the broccoli and simmer, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
4. Use a slotted spoon to remove 1/2 cup of small broccoli florets and set aside.
6. Add the nutritional yeast, almond butter, lemon juice, and mustard to the soup. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the pot or transfer to a high-speed blender or food processor and puree, in batches if necessary, then return to the pot.
7. Stir in the almond milk, then taste and adjust the seasonings, if necessary. Reheat the soup over low heat until hot.
8. To serve, ladle soup into bowls, garnish with the reserved broccoli florets. Serve hot.
Thanks for shopping the Easy Gourmet
Recipes online Amazon store!